All new vita products are made from 100% premium natural Chinese herbs harvested in America and Asia. For more information about Chinese herbs and their usage, please see below.
Tranquilizes the heart, calms the spirit, moistens intestines, promotes bowel movement. Scientific Research - animals
The fatty oil possesses a laxative action.
Bitter Ginseng Root
Dispels heat, dries dampness, expels wind...due to dampness Scientific Research
Nourishes the lungs, promotes tissue, resolves phlegm, enhance lungs. Scientific Research - animals
(1) Hemostatic purpose: The mucilage content possesses hemostatic and antionco-tic actions; its hemostatic action is probably due to its ability to agglutinate blood cells forming thrombi.
Revolves surface, disperses heat, dissolves liver chi congestion, disperses stagnancy, raises yang chi, for chest, bitter taste in the mouth Scientific Research - animals
(1) Antipyretic purpose: The extract when given orally to artificially-induced fever in rabbits exerts a notable hypothermic purpose. It also to some extent relieves fever induced by TTG (a polysaccharide produced by the bacterium Pseudomonas fluorescens). However, it is still doubtful whether it can relieve fever induced by malaria. (2) Anti-hepatosis purpose: The extract has a moderate to extreme purpose on hepatosis induced by typhoid vaccines.
Supplements and tonifies spleen and stomach, moistens heart and lungs, nourishes and pacifies spirit, smooths herbal action. Scientific Research - animals
(1) Antiallergic purpose: It has this action because of the presence of cyclic AMP in its aqueous extract.
Reinforces vital yang, warms the spleen and stomach, dispels accumulated chi, and invigorates blood vessels, for Deficient kidney function, limb chi and feeble pulse, debilitation and collapse of yang. Scientific Research - animals
(1) Stimulation of the circulation: It dilates blood vessels, thus promoting blood circulation. It also possesses diaphoretic action. Because of its ability to improve circulation, it can enhance the purposes of other herbs. Experience indicates that cinnamon bark can be used as a guide to enable other herbs to reach where they could not otherwise. (2) Stomachic purpose: The essential oil stimulates the gastrointestinal tract, promoting digestion and absorption. It eliminates gas in the digestive tract, and inhibits abnormal fermentation processes in the intestines.
Disperses stagnant chi, dissolves phlegm, dissipates fullness, disperses accumulations, for Accumulation and obstruction of phlegm in the chest, chi formation in epigastrium, food stagnation, promote digestion Scientific Research - animals
(1) Stomachic purpose: In animal studies the extract increased and regulated gastrointestinal activities. In modern-medicine it is used as an aromatic bitter stomachic. (2) Contraction of the uterus: The extract stimulates rabbit uterus and rabbit extirpated uterus by increasing the tonicity and contraction of the uterine muscle.
Removes wind-dampness, promotes meridian flow, regulates urination, promote the loins, knees and limbs, abdomen. Scientific Research - animals
(1) Softening purpose: The acetic acid extract softens the bones of fish. (2) Other purposes: It stimulates the intestines of mice.
Clove Flower Buds
Warms middle warmer and kidneys, supplements yang, promotes digestive function, expels wind, for Deficiency-cold of the spleen and kidneys, hiccup. It is also used as a spice for food and in the manufacture of cosmetics. Scientific Research - animals
(1) Stomachic purpose: The essential oil stimulates gastric secretion and thus promotes digestion. (2) Tranquilizing purpose: Intraperitoneal injection of the extract produces a sedating action in mice after a few hours. (3) Other purposes: The ethanol or aqueous extract stimulates the uterus and its contraction; it also paralyzes roundworms in pigs.
Invigorates the spleen and stomach, replenishes chi, harmonizes spleen and stomach, increases the secretion of fluids, for Spleen and gastric weakness, insufficient chi, tired, poor appetite and thirst. Chinese physicians use it as a ginseng substitute. Scientific Research - animals
(1) Tonifying and stomachic purpose: The herb stimulates the nervous system, increases body resistance, and promotes digestion, absorption, and metabolism. (2) Hemopoietic purpose: Experiments show that it increases the number of red blood cells and hemoglobin content in rabbits. The hemopoietic actions are thought to be the result of the interaction between tang-shen and the spleen. (3) Animal studies show it dilates peripheral blood vessels and inhibits adrenal cortex activity, causing a lowering of blood pressure.
Dispels heat, dries dampness, purges fire, removes toxin, for Fidgets due to extreme heat, sensation of fullness in the chest and abdomen, thirst, due to heat. Scientific Research - animals
(1) Stomachic purpose: The bitter taste possesses a stomachic purpose, and helps in digestion. It also stimulates the secretion of saliva, gastric juices, pancreatic juice, bile juice, and the activities of the gastrointestinal tract. (2) Other purposes: prolongs sleeping
Supplements lungs and kidneys , loins and knees Scientific Research - animals
(1) Bronchial purpose: It dramatically dilates extirpated animal bronchi. (2) It sedates and induces sleeping in mice. (4) In vitro it inhibits to varying degrees several kinds of fungi. (5) Other purpose, inhibits the activity of intestinal tract, uterus, and heart.
Promotes chi circulation, relieves distention, harmonizes the stomach, due to perverted flow of liver chi. Scientific Research - animals
(1) Regulating the intestine.The extract of A. lappa acts on the nervus, vagus, stimulates the large intestine, increases peristalsis of the large intestine, an inside the gastrointestinal tract.
Promotes food digestion and resolves accumulation, expels phlegm and eliminates food stagnancy, for Dyspepsia, stagnancy of undigested food, fullness in the chest and abdomen, acid regurgitation, poor digestion in infants due to improper nursing. Scientific Research - animals
(1) Digestive purpose: Crataegolic acid increases gastric secretion of digestive enzymes, thus helping in digestion.
Restores the normal functioning of the liver, regulates menses. Scientific Research - animals
(1)The ethanol extract increases rabbits threshold. (2) The extract inhibits contraction of smooth muscles and decreases the tonicity of extirpated uteri, but its purpose is weaker than that of tang-kuei.
Supplements spleen and stomach, tonifies lungs and kidneys, astringes sperm, for bowel condition and urinary frequency due to spleen deficiency. Scientific Research - animals
Nutritive purpose: This action is probably due to its mucilage and nutrient content
Supplements kidneys and strengthens yang, dispels wind-damp, for weakness in the loins and knees. Scientific Research - animals
(1) It has an aphrodisiac action mainly because it stimulates secretion of semen, causing the filling up of the scrotum,and indirectly promoting sexual desire. The leaf and the root are most potent in this action, the fruit is intermediate, and the stem the least potent. (2) It acts mainly on dilating the peripheral blood vessels and inhibiting.the vasomotor center in the brain.
Euphrasy, eye-bright. Medicinal Part: The herb. Description
Red eyebright is a small, downy, annual herb very common in meadows, pastures, and other grassy areas of Europe and western Asia and probably naturalized locally in various places in the U.S. Its square, leafy stem grows up to 12 inches high and bears opposite, stiff, ovate leaves. The two-lipped, red or purple and white flowers grow in axillary leafy spikes from June to September. Properties and Uses
Astringent, tonic. As the name suggests, red eyebright has been used to help eye and eyestrain. A weak infusion of the fresh herb is used for these purposes, either as an eyewash or as fomentation. In addition, an infusion or poultice of red eyebright has been used for colds, In Europe it has sometimes been taken for hay fever.
Flowery Knotweed Root
Nourishes yin, replenishes sperm and blood. tonifies liver and kidneys, for Deficiency of liver and kidney yin, prematurely white hair, weak in the loins and knees, involuntary emission, functional intestinal wind Scientific Research - animals
(1) Purgative purpose: It stimulates peristaltic movements of the intestine to induce defecation. (2) Cholesterol level-lowering purpose: In experiments with rabbits, it inhibits the increase of serum cholesterol and also decreases the absorption of cholesterol by the alimentary canal. This action is probably due to the ability of its constituents to combine with cholesterol to inhibit increase in cholesterol. (3) Purpose on arteriosclerosis: for animal, It prevents the retention of lipid in the serum or inhibits the deposition of lipoid on the inner membrane of arteries, probably because of its lecithin content. (5) Other animal purposes: It is cardiotonic, especially to exhausted hearts; it stimulates extirpated frog heart and also causes blood sugar to first rise and then fall.
Dispels heat, removes toxin. Scientific Research - animals
(1) Antibacterial purpose in animal test: In vitro it inhibits Shigella dysenteriae, Salmonella typhosa, Pseudomonas aeruginosa and other gram-negative bacteria. It also inhibits Staphylococus aureus, Streptococcus hemolyticus, Diplococcus pneumoniae, and Hemophilus pertussis and other gram-positive bacteria. (2) Antiviral purpose for animals. It inhibits influenza virus
Moistens dryness to resolve phlegm, clears heat, for … due to heat in the lungs, malfunction of the lungs. Fritillaria Bulb /Chuan-bei is purposive for ... Scientific Research - animals
(1) Antitussive and expectorant purposes for animal: The alkaloids of the herb possess atro pinelike activities, stop contraction of the bronchial smooth muscle, decrease secretion, and dilate the pupil of the eye. (2) Central nervous system inhibiting purpose for animals: In warm-blooded animals it paralyzes the central nervous system, stimulates heart muscles, causes dysfunction, of breathing and spontaneous, motor movements, decreases heart rate, and causes incomplete heart contraction thus leading to a lowering of blood pressure. It increases extirpated uterine contractions but inhibits peristalsis of extirpated rabbit intestines.
Dispels heat and purges fire, cools blood, removes toxin... Scientific Research - animals
(1) Purpose on the gallbladder for animals test: The aqueous or ethanol extracts when injected into rabbits stimulates their bile secretion. The extract also lowers the blood bilirubin level in rabbits after their bile ducts have been tied off and they have been injected with crocin and crocetin. Geniposide after being degraded in the intestine yields geni-pin, which stimulates bile secretion after being absorbed. (2)Hypotensive purpose: The aqueous or ethanol extracts will continuously lower blood pressure in cats. (3) Antibacterial purpose: In vitro, it inhibits the growth of Shigella dysenteriae, Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus hemolyticus, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. (4) Antifungal purpose for animals: Its aqueous extract inhibits white ringworm. (5) Tranquilizing purpose: Its aqueous extract exhibits a tranquilizing purpose in mice. (6) Antipyretic purpose for animals: It inhibits center-controlling fever, its action being vary similar to that of coptis and scute. (7) Other purposes for mice: It inhibits ascitic carcinoma and suppresses diarrhea when given orally to mice.
Warms middle warmer, reinvigorates yang, arms lungs, and resolves phlegm, for cold limbs, minute pulse due to retention of cold and moisture Scientific Research - animals
(1) Hypertensive purpose for animals: It reflexively stimulates the vasomotor center and stimulates' the sympathetic nervous system thereby increasing the blood pressure. (2) Stomachic and antiemetic purposes for animals: It stimulates blood circulation. Ingestion of it warms the stomach and intestines, thus improving digestion and absorption by the gastrointestinal tract, which results in antiemetic and anti diarrheal actions.
Opens cavities, resolves phlegm Scientific Research - animals
(1) Hemolytic purpose for animals: It possesses strong hemolytic action. (2) Antibacterial purpose in animals: The aqueous extract inhibits Escherichia coli, Eberthel-la typhos, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Proteus vulgaris, and gram-negative bacteria in vito (3) Expectorant purpose for animals: Its saponin content,stimulates gastric mucosa reflexively, causing an increase in secretions of the respiratory tract to aid in expelling phlegm
Clears heat, promotes water metabolism,facilitates lactation,promotes blood circulation, for Irritability and heat sensation in the chest Scientific Research - animals
(1) Diuretic purpose: Its diuretic action is weaker than polyporus but stronger than lophatherum. (2) Cardiotonic purpose: A. manshuriensis action like that of digitalis, stimulates extirpated toad heart. (3) Antibacterial purpose: In vitro, it inhibits grampositive bacteria, Eberthella dysenteriae, and dermatophytes. (4) Anticancer purpose: Aristolochic acid inhibits the growth of carcinoma.
Huo-Shan Dendrobium Stem
Increases fluids, benefits stomach, nourishes yin, moistens lungs, expels heat, quenches thirst, for Impairment of body fluids ... dry mouth... Scientific Research - animals
(1) Antipyretic and analgesic purpose: Its purpose is slight. Dendrobine is the purposeive constituent and acts on the spinal column. (2) Stomachic purpose: The extract stimulates smooth muscle contraction of the small intestine, increases its tonicity, and promotes peristalsis and gastric secretion to help in digestion. (3) Other purposes: The extract of D nobble cannot relieve fever induced by Escherichia coli in rabbits. In higher dosages the extract paralyzes smooth muscles and inhibits heartbeat. At suitable dosages, it inhibits the actions of pilocarpine, atropine, and adrenaline on hearts and small intestines. Its inhibiting purpose is slightest with atropine.
Japanese Honeysuckle Flower
Removes toxic heat, for Fever, dermal eruption Scientific Research - animals
(1) Antibacterial purpose: In vitro the extract dramatically inhibits Shigella dy-senteriae, Salmo.
Japanese Quince Fruit
Quenches liver fire, relaxes muscles and meridians, harmonizes the stomach, removes dampness, for Beriberi swelling, contortion of arm and leg, due to dampness Scientific Research - animals
(1) Antibacterial purpose: Malic acid inhibits the growth of pathogenic bacteria. (2) Hemopoieticpurpose: Malic acid increases the absorption of iron to produce hemopoietic activities. (3) Antispasmodic purpose: It relaxes the smooth muscle of the gastrointestinal tract and relieves spasms in the limbs. (4) Diuretic purpose: Clinical observations indicate that it dramatically promotes diuresis.
Japanese Teasel Root
Supplements liver and kidneys, unites fractured tendons and bone, invigorates blood circulation. Scientific Research - animals
Anti-inflammatory purpose: It induces the eruption of pus, stops bleeding, and has an analgesic-purpose in patients with carbuncle dermatosis. It also promotes the regeneration of tissues.
Softens hardness, disperses accumulation, resolves phlegm, clean heat Scientific Research - animals
(1) Hypotensive purpose: Laminine is the active constituent which lowers blood pressure slightly and temporarily. (2) Purpose on goiter: Because of its iodine and iodide content, the herb is used to treat goiter caused by deficiency in iodide or iodine. (3) Antitussive and expectorant purposes: The extract has been proven to have an antitussive purpose on guinea pigs and on artificially-induced coughing in rats and cats.
Dispels wind, resolves surface, removes dampness, relieves convulsions, , for cold due to wind-cold and dampness limbic spasms Scientific Research - animals
(1) Antipyretic purpose: The extract is proven to have antipyretic actions when tested on febrile rabbits injected with typhoid vaccine into the auricular vein. (2) Antibacterial and antifungal purposes: In vitro the aqueous extract is proven purposeive against fungus Shigella dysenteriae, and Bacillus diphtheria. (3) Antiviral purpose: It inhibits viruses causing influenza.
Supplements spleen, replenishes chi, clears heat, removes toxin, moist lungs, harmonizes the stomach and spleen Scientific Research - animals
(1) Detoxifying purpose: Glyiyrrhizin and its calcium salt possess detoxifying action on bacterial toxins (diphtherin, tetanin), poisonous foods and drugs, and toxins of metabolic products. Glycvrrhizin when degraded yields glucuronic acid, v:hich in the liver will combine with toxic materials to form glucuronide to produce a detoxifying action. (2) Adrenocortical hormonelike The active constituent glycyrrhetic acid in licorice causes the retention of water and sodium ions, increases blood pressure, promotes the secretion of potassium, and thus possesses actions similar to those of adrenocorticohormone. Licorice is purposeive against Addisonís disease. (3) Antispasmodic purpose: It inhibits smooth muscle activities, mainly because of its flavonoid content, which has actions similar to those of papaverin. (4) Gastric secretion-inhibiting action: Animal studies show that licorice inhibits gastric secretion caused by histamine. (5) Anti-inflammatory purpose: Glycyrrhizin and its degraded product glycyrrhe-tinic acid possess anti-inflammatory actions similar to those of certain hormones secreted by the adrenal gland.
Invigorates blood circulation, promotes the flow of chi, dispels wind ... Scientific Research
(1) Antispasmodic purpose: The extract inhibits intestinal and uterine contraction. in animals to produce antispasmodic and analgesic purposes. Its active constituent is ferulic acid. (2) Tranquilizing purpose: The essential oil inhibits the central nervous system. (3) Hypotensive purpose: The aqueous extract slightly lowers the blood pressure of animals. Intramuscular injection can produce this purpose, but the purpose is more pronounced with anesthetized animals (dogs, cats, and rabbits) when the extract is injected intravenously. (4) Vasodilative purpose: The extract when injected into the coronary artery increases blood flow in the coronary artery and to the lower limbs. (5) Antibacterial purpose: In vitro it inhibits Escherichia coli, Bacillus typhi, and dysentery bacteria. (6) Antifungal purpose: In vitro butylphthalide, cnidilide, and neocnidilide inhibit dermatophytes.
Supplements kidneys, nourishes yin, nourishes liver, clears vision, for Yin deficiency, internal heat, promote waist and knees Scientific Research - animals
(1) Cardiotonic purpose: Oleanolic acid possesses cardiotonic actions. (2) Purgative purpose: (-mannite acts as a laxative and purgative. (3) Nutritive purpose: The constituents oleic acid and olinoleic acid possess nutritive actions; (4) Other purposes: Recent experimental studies have shown that the aqueous extract inhibits the growth of transplanted tumor cells in animals.
Clears heat, promotes urination... Scientific Research - animals
(1) Antipyretic purpose: Given orally it has a hypothermic purpose on rats with artificially induced fevers. (2) Diuretic purpose: Its diuretic purpose is weaker than chlorides in the urine. (3) Anticarcinogenic purpose: The extract is purposeive in cinoma and sarcoma-180.
Cleanses lungs, harmonizes stomach, causes chi to descend, resolve phlegm, for Lung-heat, retention of phlegm and water, stomach heat... Scientific Research - animals
(1) Antitussive and expectorant purposes: Amygadalin, after being hydrolyze, yields hydrocyanic acid which calms the sensory nerves of the bronchi, thus decreasing coughing. It stimulates the respiration center of the central nervous system. (2) Antiviral purpose: It inhibits viruses causing influenza.
Dispels toxic heat in the heart, benefits kidneys, strengthens spleen, controls for Spleen deficiency, excessive dreaming Scientific Research - animals
(1) Purpose on smooth muscle: The alkaloids of the herb relax smooth muscle, methylcorypalline dilates coronary arteries, and demethylcoclaurine relaxes smooth uterine muscle. (2) Other purposes: The decoction of the embryo neutralizes toxicity; oxoushin-sunine inhibits swollen infection of the nose and throat.
Supplements the liver and kidneys, promotes sperm and blood, clears vision, for Deficiency of liver and kidney yin. Scientific Research - animals
(1) Purpose on liver fat: In experiments with mice intoxicated with carbon tetrachloride, the aqueous extract slightly inhibits the precipitation of fat in liver cells and promotes regeneration of liver cells. The active constituents are probably the metabolic products of betaine. (2) Hypoglycemia purpose: The herb lowers the level of blood sugar. (3) Hypotensive purpose: Intravenous injection of the aqueous extract into the rabbitís ear causes a dramatic decrease in blood pressure and also stimulates breathing.
Lycium Root Bark
Dispels heat, cools blood, excess due to deficiency, for thirst Scientific Research - animals
(1) Hypotensive purpose: The aqueous extract directly dilates blood vessels and thus lowers blood pressure. (2) Antibacterial purpose: In vitro, it inhibits Staphylococcus aureus. (3) Hypoglycemic purpose: It lowers the blood sugar level m rabbits. (4) Antipyretic purpose: It lowers the temperature of rabbits with experimentally induced fevers.